Monday 18 October 2010

THAM: YONG FEELS THREATENED



Former Chief Minister, Datuk Yong Teck Lee has maliciously intended to inflict the maximum damage on him, claims a former party comrade and deputy Chief Minister, Datuk Tham Nyip Shen.

Tham, who was once Yong’s deputy in the Sabah Progressive Party charged that by accusing him (Tham) of doing ‘dirty job’ for UMNO, Yong was attempting to put him in bad light.

“What dirty job could I do that others cannot?” queried Tham, contending that it was Yong’s long term intention to try and ‘finish me off politically’. I have been apolitical since quitting SAPP in 2008 and I am no card-carrying member of any political party contrary to reports. However, I support Barisan Nasional policies hence when SAPP pulled out from the BN, I had to leave that party.

“It would seem that Yong is still unhappy that I have not sided with him, and like when he backed my rivals in SAPP to try and knock me off my deputy president’s post (then), he’s now trying to finish off the job,” added Tham.

In a statement issued Saturday, Tham said that he would like to thank Yong sincerely for clearing his (Tham’s) name by confirming that he did not benefit from the Sustainable Forest Management Units (FMUs) approval. Tham however digressed with Yong over the manner of Yong’s recent statement.

“Yong has reduced me to a green grass eating animal now. Not only I have bitten him, but maybe one day I may possibly bite (Chief Minister) Datuk Musa (Aman) too. I am not sure if Yong thinks that I am a tiger or dog whom he accused me of biting.

“I assume he intended to insult, as he said I was once his ‘best friend’ a dog! Yong had also said, “My only logical conclusion why Tham has now surfaced to do the dirty work of UMNO to attack me is to lobby to be the BN candidate for Batu Sapi.

“Tham had wanted to be candidate for Batu Sapi in the 2004 general elections. He was promised by somebody, but not me. But he was asked to sacrifice Elopura to MCA. He rightly refused because he had already promised the seat to Au Kam Wah.

“He declared that ‘a good horse does not eat return grass’. Now it seems every day this horse eats green grass. “In the 2004 elections, the end result was PBS got Batu Sapi, MCA got Kapayan, LDP got Merotai and SAPP got Luyang. Tham got the Science Advisor post.”

Recounting on his spat with Yong, Tham said all he had wanted to do was to clarify a remark made by the former Chief Minister when he issued a statement on the FMUs, since his (Tham’s) name was mentioned in it.

On October 7, 2010, Yong said these agreements were consequent to the Cabinet Committee on Forestry Policy approved even before he became Chief Minister in 1996. He further stressed that,

"Herbert can ask some of his current BN leaders in both the federal and state governments: Tan Sri Bernard Dompok, Tan Sri Joseph Kurup, Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Hj. Mulia, Datuk Lajim Hj. Okin, Datuk Yahya Hussein, Datuk Raymond Tan. Other leaders include Datuk Ghapur Salleh, Datuk Tham Nyip Shen, Datuk Dayang Mahani, Datuk Wilfred Bumburing.”

[Daily Express :Published on: Thursday, October 07, 2010]

Said Tham: “I assumed that when Yong asked me to clarify, he was clean, and therefore he would not be affected by my statement the slightest. I did not mention any names, my intention is to tell the public that IF THERE IS A CONTROVERSY, THEN I WAS NOT PART OF IT!

“Datuk Yong’s outburst is unusual, it is extraordinary. He implied that I am a dog that bite his hand is unnecessary. On the ungentlemanly remarks, Tham said: “Coming from Yong, I feel honoured that he felt threatened by this possibility! (that I would be the candidate for Batu Sapi by election).

“He knows well that I am no longer a member of any Party, for him to logically think so is therefore perplexing. Perhaps he himself wants to be there on SAPP ticket preempting that I would be there to challenge him.

On Yong’s insinuation that he had been an ungrateful fellow, once his very close friend and once his comrade-in-arms, and he now regretted this ‘dog’ was someone that he should never have chosen to believe and trusted in.

Tham said: “To this, I am sad but honoured. On the other hand, many have left his leadership and SAPP. Surely there are other untold stories too. I am compelled to deal with mine, as a matter of public interest, separately. I have all this while valued my relationship with him.

“I have not joined any political party after quitting SAPP out of respect. It now seems that all these goodwill has gone to the dogs. I kept silence over these pains for his sake, hoping that he will become a great leader and do Sabah good. “Alas, I am totally shattered and I can now assume that he also intended to finish off this ungrateful 'dog' once and for all. I must now voice out in self defense.

Allow me a bit of time to get organized. Tham said he would do all he can to help the BN to form the Government and make use of BN to help the people.

“I have not stopped,” said Tham. “This explains why I am still close to the Datuk Musa. I cannot agree that SAPP, elected on BN platform, won and formed the Government that is all ready to serve have chosen to be in opposition instead.

“Not only this inflicted pains to the voters that have chosen the Government, it also caused hardship to the YBs who have chosen to be a BN candidate that could have enjoyed Government support to serve the people. Not everyone is as well off as Yong.

“Politics is like a ‘Make Believe’ game whatever is the truth is less important. This is best demonstrated by Yong who alleged that my motive to clarify my name has an ultimate aim of being a candidate in Batu Sapi.

“For those who wish to know the truth, let’s relax, wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment