Monday 12 March 2012

NAKED PARADE THREAT FOR RAPE VICTIM

ALREADY in shock after being gang raped by five men in a village in the Indian state of West Bengal, a tribal woman is now facing the wrath of her entire village.

The villagers have warned the construction worker that she will be paraded naked if she doesn't pack up and leave. They have also 'fined' her 12,000 Rupees (RM 724) and seized her cows.

"They are telling me to commit suicide, want me to hang myself or to drink poison. They want me to leave this village and for that they had taken my cows."

"Everyone is threatening me and beating me. They have broken the door of the house."

"They warned me to leave the place or else they will make me walk naked. I am scared and don't know what to do," she said.

The victim was allegedly raped on February 26 while she was returning home after work.

According to Koyeli Das, a Local administrative official, the authorities have already promised her security.

The Villagers, however, are determined that the woman should be punished.

VICTIM.....Villagers surrounding the house of the rape victim

"Women who do illegal work are punished by the villagers and the village head."

"The punishments are of different kinds or maybe she should be thrown out from the village," said Syam Bera, the village head.

"She has to be punished for her crime. In our society, we punish this kind of woman and she had to be punished for this crime. These are our rules and laws and we always follow them," he said.

This is not the first time a threat of being paraded naked has been dished out at a woman in the district.

In 2010, a tribal girl was subjected to this inhuman humiliation in the same district on the suspicion that she was in a relationship with a boy from outside her tribe. (ndtv)

No comments:

Post a Comment