Sunday 17 June 2012

NIAGARA FALLS DAREDEVIL




It could be a Tom Cruise scene from a Mission: Impossible movie, but it’s not. Nik Wallenda, plans to walk on a two inch-thick steel cable to make a 1,800ft journey from the US into Canada. If that’s not enough, it’s 200 feet above the air.

Nik, a seventh generation circus performer, first stepped on a tightrope when he was two. He targeted Niagara Falls when he was only six and made crossing the cataracts on a high wire his lifelong dream. Nik may just realise his dream tonight, but believes it all came down to faith in the man upstairs.

"It's the most important part of my life," he said. "I believe in a thing called unmerited favour. It's undeserved, but God's involvement in my life has gotten me to where I am in my career," reported The Toronto Sun.

Nik was first given permission to do the walk from American officials in June last year. But two days later, the Niagara Parks Commission (NPC) voted to maintain it's century-old anti-stunting rules. The aerialist didn't back down. He continued to bug the NPC until they relented.

Nik believes God had his back on that one.

"God's hand is involved in every step of my life," he said. "I believe doors were opened for me that weren't opened for others and doors that were slammed were reopened."

But it all wasn’t a breeze from that point onwards. American broadcaster ABC told Nik the only way they would show the walk on television is if he agreed to wear a harness. Again, Nik says it's his faith that helps keep him on track.

What Wallenda will wear, however, is a water-resistant tracksuit for the walk and tight leather shoes handmade by his mother. He said he won't eat anything in the eight-or-so hours before he walks.

Other than that, he plans to go on Good Morning, America and then, "I'll take four or five hours off and just relax."

No comments:

Post a Comment