Tuesday 18 December 2012

POLITICS GANGNAM STYLE !





Dear Editor,

I AM inspired to write this column after reading Philip Golingai's article, 'Really,who's sleeping with who in Sabah.' It's definitely a good read.

Let's assume one fine day we have this scenario: The state assembly is held at a famous pub along Jalan Penampang and after a drinking binge most of the assemblymen and women decide to dance to the tune of Poco-Poco or Gangnam style, which simply means that the bill has been passed. Following day while recovering from a bad hangover, they have also conveniently forgotten what was promised the previous night. Sounds familiar?

The G 13 is closing in. The 'aduns' who have been sleeping in their crypt for the last four years have suddenly resurrected and are once again making their rounds. The wannabe politicians and consultants are also making their rounds and trying to cash in. I too am no exception.

I have offered my consulting services to the Sabah BN and opposition parties in the areas of communication. So far no one has engaged my services. For the so called opposition parties in Sabah, I'm willing to give a 10% discount on my fee.

A friend asked me,"why only 10% and not 50%?" My reply was, "a vast majority of opposition politicians in Sabah have got their early orientation from BN." His response was, "So?" I told him that your guess is has good has mine.    

As I was sipping my third beer my friend asked; "What great ideas will I propose to BN or to the opposition chaps?" Looking up the sky and pretending to be a great thinker and philosopher, following was my initial response: Much has been discussed or debated and in some cases the issues were brought to court seeking justice.

I'm sure many Sabahans would like to finally see daylight on hot issues such as, oil royalty, cabotage, borneonization, NCR, PTP, MyCard, etc. In all earnestness I hope the following will also be considered:

1. All political parties must recruit leaders who posses a tradition of hard work, integrity and youthful ambition.

2. UMNO desperately needs a larger pool of  'Ahmad Saifuddin's, Shahrir Abdul Samad's and Rafizi Ramli's ' and appoint male leaders with a strong spine and backbone. I feel that the current bunch of top UMNO leaders are carrying just too much of excess baggage.

3. Since there is a survey indicating that a large number of workers are earning incomes below the poverty line, therefore every indigenous (Bumiputra) BN or  Opposition Leader in Sabah must support the minimum wage and ensure mix-rice does not cost more than RM3.00  and ice-water not more than 20 cents. I'm willing to take on the Sabah DAP chap who opposes this move.    

4. The citizens must learn the art of complaining. Change the rules of the game. According to a TI survey, over 73% of the respondents  said it is common for public officials in this country to demand or accept bribes. In addition, 81% surveyed said it is common for public funds to be misused by high-ranking public officials and politicians in Malaysia.

From now focus the complain towards the bureaucrat who is in charge. For example, when I recently visited a government hospital I noticed that an ambulance was out of  service. My attention and complain will now be directed at the State Director of Health Services or Hospital Director.  

My friend looked at me and said, "Dom, buli ba kalau kau." I looked at the shopkeeper and shouted, "Satu set Tiger!" I went on to declare, "Mari kita singgarung."

Best Regard,

DOMINIC GERARD JOSEPH 

No comments:

Post a Comment