LISTEN.....Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, the 74-year-old Sultan of Sulu, listens to a question at a press conference in Manila on Feb 26. Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, the 74-year-old Sultan of Sulu, listens to a question at a press conference in Manila on Feb 26.
By : RUBEN SARIO
LAHAD DATU: Malaysian security forces on Friday started firing at a group of Filipinos holed up in a village in Sabah, the brother of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III claimed.
In an interview with radio dzBB at about 10am on Friday, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, the leader of the group now holed up at a village in Lahad Datu, said they were being shot at and had to 'defend' themselves.
"Biglang pumasok sa amin (They suddenly came in), we had to defend ourselves," Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said.
Asked what time did the Malaysian forces moved in, he said: "Oras na ito (at this time)."
Sounds of gunshots were heard in the background while the interview was being conducted. The interview was then cut off.
In a second interview with the radio station several minutes later, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said he had received reports that some of his men were wounded but added that there will be no retreat or call for a ceasefire.
"Meron na (There have been casualties)," he said when asked if some of his men had been wounded.
Asked if there were members of the Malaysian police who were wounded, he said: "Ewan ko (I don't know)."
Shots were still heard in the background when the second interview was being carried out.
Asked about his immediate plans, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said: "Lalaban (we'll still fight)."
He said he himself was involved in the gunfight with the Malaysian forces.
"Tuloy pa rin (The fight will continue)," he added.
When asked if he would call a ceasefire, he said, "Sino mag-ceasefire? Sila mag-ceasefire (Who'll call a ceasefire? They should be the ones to do so)."
However, the Malaysian authorities have not confirm whether there was any shooting in Lahad Datu.